Egg drop soup also is known as egg flower soup. You probably ordered it many times from a Chinese restaurant. Today, I am going to show you 2 easy ways to make it. This is the style that my family makes all the time. It has a little touch of sweet and sour taste. It is very nice for such quick and easy soup. Usually, this is no the only dish that you will have on your dinner table. We will serve it with other dishes like stir-fry recipes or meat main dish. It is so soft, creamy, silky, It can go with almost any food. It is very cheap but it comforts your heart.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Easy Egg Drop Soup 2 Ways [蛋花汤]
INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC EGG DROP SOUP
INGREDIENTS FOR TOMATO EGG DROP SOUP
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE BASIC EGG DROP SOUP
- - Crack 2 eggs and beat it well.
- - In a clean pot. Pour in 2 cups of chicken stock and add some white part of spring onion. You can also use water, but chicken stock provides much more flavor. Bring this to a boil.
- - While waiting, mix 1.5 tbsp of cornstarch and 1.5 tbsp of water together.
- - When the chicken stock is boiling. Slowly pour in the cornstarch water and stir it at the same time so it doesn’t clump up. In less than a minute, the stock should be slightly thickened.
- - Next, it is the egg drop part. Make sure you stir it while adding the egg. In this way, you create an extra silky egg drop soup.
- - Add some salt and white pepper to taste. Serve it in a bowl. Sprinkle some spring onion.
- This is the most basic egg drop soup that you will find in your local Chinese restaurant. In my family, we usually make the one that has tomato in it.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE TOMATO EGG DROP SOUP
- - Diced a small tomato
- - Add some oil to the pot, along with some aromatics - grated garlic, ginger, and a little bit white part of the spring onion. Stir them until fragrant.
- - Add in the diced tomato. Saute it for about a minute. You will see the tomato became saucy. Add some sugar and a salt to taste. If you want to be creative, you can add some protein at this point, such as minced meat, tofu slices. I just want this soup to be simple, salt and sugar is enough to make a good flavor.
- - The rest of the steps are the same. Bring this to a boil and pour in the cornstarch water. After the soup got thicken up, stir in the egg as well.
- - Serve it in a bowl. Sprinkle some spring onion.