Hi, everyone, welcome to Souped Up Recipe. Today we are making Hai Xian Men Guo (Seafood simmer pot). It is kind of like a hot pot that you can choose whatever ingredients that you like but it is not as watery. Instead, everything is cooked in a thick flavorful sauce – very interesting and delicious. This dish is pretty easy to make. Just prepare some vegetables and proteins. Quickly make the sauce. The actual cooking process only takes 10 minutes.
Easy Seafood "Hot Pot" Stew (海鲜焖锅)
MAIN INGREDIENTS (Serve 2 people)
- Cut 1.5 lb of mixed vegetables (carrots, onion, potato, celery...) into bite-size.
- Peel 8-10 cloves of garlic and slice 1.5 inches of ginger.
- Add the mixed vegetables, garlic, and ginger to a big bowl. Drizzle in 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, some freshly ground black pepper, and a few shakes of paprika. Mix well. Set it aside.
- Rub the octopuses with 2 tbsp of salt, 2 tbsp of cornstarch, 2-3 tbsp of cooking wine for 5 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly
- Devein some shrimps. Prepare some meatballs or other proteins that you like.
- In a saucepot, add in 1.5 tbsp of vegetable oil, 1.5 tsp of finely minced ginger, 1 tbsp of minced garlic. Stir until fragrant. Then add in 2 tbsp of oyster sauce, 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1.5tbsp of sriracha, 2 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, and 1.5 tsp of dark soy sauce. Stir to mix. Give it a taste to adjust the flavor. Last, thicken the sauce with some cornstarch water (1/2 tbsp of starch + 2 tbsp of water). Cornstarch will help all the flavors to attach to the vegetables and seafood.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil, the mixed vegetables, and half of the sauce to the cast iron skillet. Stir to mix. Then we will add the ingredients that take some time to cook through such as shrimp meatballs and fish meatballs.
- Put on the lid. Cook on low heat for 6-8 minutes depends on how soft you want your vegetables to be. You can try a piece to check the doneness. It should be a little bit undercook. Then you can add in the ingredients that take less time to cook such as shrimps and octopuses. Add the other half of the sauce in at this point. Use a brush to spread the sauce evenly.
- Turn the heat to high. Put on the lid again. Let them cook for a minute or 2. Do not cook for longer than 2 minutes or else the seafood will be overcooked.
- And you are done. Add a bunch of scallion for garnish. Enjoy!