Today we are making a popular street food that is originally from Taiwan. Shou Zhua Bing – I am so excited about this. I remember it became really popular when I was in Guangzhou. The street vendors make it in front of you, and it just additive delicious that I eat it almost every week during my college years and whenever I buy it, I bring one for my roommate as well.
Taiwanese Chicken BLT Wrap Recipe - (Shou Zhua Bing / 手抓饼)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FLATBREAD
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINADE CHICKEN TENDER
INGREDIENTS TO ASSEMBLE 1 SHOU ZHUA BING
- 1 egg
- Fresh lettuce
- 2 slices of tomato
- 2 pieces of pan-fried chicken tender
- 2 piece of bacon
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt to 200 grams of water. Stir to dissolve. Pour the liquid into 350 grams of high protein flour in batches. Stir to corporate.
- Use a stand mixer. Put it on medium speed to knead the dough for a few minutes. Once all the flour is packed together, add a big drizzle of vegetable oil.
- Keep using medium speed and let it run for another 10 minutes. All the oil should be absorbed and the dough should be soft and smooth. Take it out. Knead it on the working surface for 20-30 seconds or until it becomes non-stick.
- Divide the dough into 6 even pieces. Roll each piece into a round smooth ball. Coat all 6 pieces of dough with a generous amount of oil. Cover with a plastic film. Let them sit for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the fridge.
- While waiting, you can make You Su. In a sauce bowl, add 1 tsp of five-spice powder and 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour. Pour in 4 tbsp of hot oil. Stir to mix well. Set it aside.
- 2 hours later, oil the working surface to prevent sticking. Take one piece of the dough. Flatten it by your hand first then stretch it into a 16*10 inches thin sheet.
- Apply a thin layer of You Su on the sheet. Sprinkle about 2 tbsp of finely diced scallion. Lift the sheet and make lots of folds. Circle it around like it is a snake. Tug the tail under itself. Finish all 6 of them. Cover with a plastic film and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, roll each of them into 8 inches diameter round wrappers. You can stack them up. Put some parchment in between each piece. Freeze them. They will last you a few months.
- Marinade the chicken tender with some garlic, ginger paste, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of baking soda, 3 tbsp of milk. Mix and sit for 40 minutes.
- Pan-fry the chicken tender and some bacon. Prepare some fresh lettuce and some tomato slices.
- Cook the flatbread with a generous amount of oil over medium or medium-low heat. Each side needs a couple of minutes. Once both sides have some light charred spots, quickly take it out and quickly crack in one egg. Spread it out. Put the flatbread to cover the egg so they can compromises each other. Use your spatula to loosen up the egg and take it out.
- Use the flatbread to wrap the lettuce, tomato slices, crispy bacon, and pan-fried chicken tender. For the sauce, I use Mayonnaise and Sriracha. Enjoy!