Sweet and sour pork [Chinese:酸甜咕噜肉][Cantonese: gu lou juk] is probably the most popular Chinese dish in US and in many places around the world. This dish is all about the balance. My version of it, you can still have the crunchy middle layer and really soft tender meat inside. The more you eat it, the harder it is to stop. There are tons of ways to make this dish. Every body has different taste. To me, this is perfect.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Sweet and Sour Pork (Southern Chinese Style)
PREPPING THE PORK:
FOR STIR FRYING:
- 1 tbsp of garlic
- 2 cups of a colorful bell pepper
- 2 cups of pineapple
- Cut the pork into half inch cubes. Marinate it with 1 tbsp soy sauce, a 1/4 tsp of salt, and a 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Let it sit over night.
- Whisk 2 eggs, and have some plain flour ready.
- Dip the pork in the egg and then coat it with flour. Do this process twice so the flour layer is thicker. - Heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit [ 176 degrees Celsius]. Deep fry your pork twice. By frying it twice, the crispy layer will last longer, especially when you coat it with the sauce.
- Set it aside. Let’s make the sweet and sour sauce: 1/4 cup of ketchup, 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of water, 2 tbsp of plum sauce, 1 tbsp of corn starch and 3/4 tsp of salt (or to taste).
- Cook it on medium heat. Keep stirring it in case it sticks to the bottom. Once it is bubbling, turn the heat to low, just let it cook until it feels sticky but still flowing easily.
- Now, let’s stir fry all the vegetables. Heat up your wok.Add in 1 tbsp of oil, put in 1 tbsp of garlic, let it become fragrant.
- Add in the colorful bell peppers and pineapple. Stir it for around 3 minutes and then add in the pork and sauce. Coat it nicely.
- You are done. You can serve this with rice.