Chinese rice noodle roll (Also known as Chang fen/肠粉). It is popular that you can find it in some fancy tea house restaurant or if you walk around in GZ in the morning, you will see these little street restaurants selling Changfen everywhere. It is cheap. Less than a dollar you can have a delicious breakfast. In this video, I will show you how to make it at home.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Cheng Fen - Steamed Rice Noodles Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
- 2.8 ounces [80 grams] of rice flour [粘米粉]
- 2.5 ounces [70 grams] of wheat starch [澄粉]
- 1.5 tbsp [8 grams] of potato starch [土豆淀粉]
- 1.5 tbsp [8 grams] of cornstarch [玉米淀粉]
- 14 ounces [400ml] of water
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING (many options below):
- Ground beef
- 2 eggs
- minced carrot
- some lettuce
- diced cilantro
- Mix the flour ingredients (2.8 ounces of rice flour, 2.5 ounces of wheat starch, 1.5 tbsp of potato starch, 1.5 tbsp of cornstarcwith 14 ounces of water
- Prepare the fillings. I am using 2 eggs, shredded carrot, lettuce, cilantro, some ground beef. You can use anything you want like pork, chicken, sausage.
- Get a flat trail or pan. Brush some oil on the surface to prevent sticking.
- And some flour mixture into the pan. The amount depends on how big the pan is.
- Then sprinkle the topping ingredients (Carrot, lettuce, Cilantro, beef, a little bit egg). Don’t put too many toppings, or else the rice noodle roll will be to thick.
- Spread it with a spoon, make sure it covers the bottom of the pan evenly. Then you are ready to steam.
- Put it in boiling water. Steam it for 3 minutes. When you open the cover, there should be a lot of big bubbles under the thin layer of noodle - my camera cannot catch that well but you should see it if you make your own. And those bubbles tell you that it is ready, you can take it out.
- Roll it into noodle roll. Now that you are done with 1 piece of Chang fen and you just finish the rest. If you have 2 trails in hand, that will be much easier. You can prepare the second one while the first one is steaming.
- Rice noodle roll usually served with gravy. Let’s me show you how to make that.
- In a small saucepan, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, 3 cloves of minced garlic, some ginger strips, and some minced shallot. Give it a stir, let it become fragrant.
- Pour in 7 ounces of chicken stock. Then add in all the seasoning (1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of fish sauce, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of oyster sauce). Mix it a little bit, bring this to a boil.
- Now let’s quickly make a slurry. 2 tsp of cornstarch, 2 tsp of water. Mix it up. Pour it into the saucepan. Keep mixing it. After 1 minute, the sauce should be slightly thick.
- The sauce will taste pretty salty and intense on itself which is what we need because we didn’t add any seasoning to the flour mixture.
- Pour the gravy on top of the rice noodle roll. You are ready to eat.
Shrimp / sausage / char siu / egg / tofu
Cilantro / lettuce / carrot / cabbage / scallion