This video is a special soup recipe for the special occasion that I just hit 5000 subscribers. It is called Sister Song’s fish broth. It is a famous hang zhou dish- they’ve been cooking this for 800 years. My channel name is souped up recipes, but I haven’t shared any soup recipes yet! So this is the one! And special thanks to everyone subscribed. You made my channel grow! I’m excited to keep bringing you more delicious recipes. Hope you keep enjoying my videos!
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Savory Fish Stew - Sister Song's Fish Broth Recipe
FOR THE FISH MARINADE:
- 1.2 lbs bass (fish)
- 1 tsp of ginger juice
- 1 tsp of Chinese cooking wine
FOR THE FISH BROTH:
- Fish bones
- A bunch of spring onion
- some slices of ginger
- 33 ounces of water
- Cut the baby bamboo shoots, mushroom, ham into thin shreds. Scramble 2 eggs for later.
- Fillet the fish (bass, perch walleye will work fine). Save the bones for the fish broth. Peel the skin off. Cut it into thin shreds.
- Marinate the fish with 1 tsp of ginger juice and 1 tsp of Chinese cooking wine. (shao xing wine will be good too.)
- Give it a mix, let it sit in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Use the fish bones to make a broth. Add a bunch of spring onion into the pot. And few slices of ginger. Then pour in 33 ounces of water. Add the fish bones. Bring this to a boil. Low heat stews it for 20 minutes.
- Drain the broth. Let’s cook the mushroom, bamboo shoots and ham!
- Add 2 tbsp of oil into the wok. Put in 1 tbsp of garlic, give it a minute to become fragrant.
- Then add in the mushroom, baby bamboo shoots, and ham. Stir it for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the fish broth. Bring it to a boil.
- Once it is boiling, add in 2 beaten eggs. Use the spatula to make the egg spread evenly in the broth.
- Wait until it comes back to a boil again. Pour in 1 tbsp of cornstarch slurry which I made ahead of the time. 1 tbsp of cornstarch + 1 tbsp of water, mix it together.
- After you add in the slurry, the soup will be a little thicker. You can dump in the fish. Give it a mix.
- Now we can add in all the seasoning, which is 1 tsp of black vinegar, 1 tsp of white pepper and 1 tsp of sugar. The sugar really helps to bring out the sweetness from the fish.
- You should turn off the heat 1 minute after you put in the fish because you don’t want to overcook it.
- Give it a taste to see if you need more salt. Every ham has different amount of salt, so check every time. You don’t want to ruin it by adding too much salt.