Sampan congee, We call it [艇仔粥tang jai jook] in Cantonese, As one of the most popular Cantonese dim sum dishes, it is famous for its fresh and sweet taste. This is very easy to make and you can always alter the recipe with your own ingredients to change it up.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Chinese Rice Porridge (Sampan Congee Recipe)
FOR MAKING THE CONGEE:
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 4 cups + 2 cups of water
- 3 ounces of char siu My char siu recipe video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ICMcuhdPg
- 3 ounces of thinly sliced of pork
- 3 ounce of slices of fish
- 3 ounces of squid
- 3 ounces of shrimp
- 2 ounces of shredded carrot
- 2 ounces of shredded cabbage
FOR THE SEASONING:
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVING [OPTIONAL]:
- Some fried wonton skin
- some crunchy peanut
- Chinese deep fried bread stick
- cilantro, cabbage and carrot put on the top
- Add a half cup of rice into the rice cooker. Don’t really need a specific type. Just regular rice is fine. Wash it. Pour in 4 cups of water.
- Set the rice cooker to congee setting. And cook it for 40 minutes. You can also use a pot to make this. Just need to keep an eye on it to avoid overflowing.
- 40 minutes later, transfer the rice base into the pot.
- Usually, I will add more water in it because the longer we cook it, the thicker it will be. So feel free to add water anytime. Bring this to a boil and prepare other ingredient and the seasoning.
- When the rice based is boiling, add in the pork and Char siu. Let this cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in all the seafood and the veggies.
- Then add in all the seasoning. Give it a stir make sure it is dissolved.
- Add some salt to adjust the flavor. Give it a little taste. You are done.
- Serve it with cilantro, carrot, cabbage, and peanuts on the top. Maybe fried wonton skin or Chinese deep-fried dough sticks if you have.. You can switch it with what every you like. Congee is very flexible.