Today we are making a non-fried fried rice. Sounds strange right. I think you can treat it as a rice salad. We can it Dong Bei Fan Bao [东北饭包]. It super delicious, full of flavors and much healthier. I called it the revolution of fried rice. It is such an interesting dish. The reason why I say it is interesting is that you will only find this dish in northern China where Wheat is the basic staple food so rice is kind of like something unusual to see. One of my friends told me that her mom used to bring this dish while working in the fields. They just grab the fresh lettuce from the field and wrap it up. I am not sure if this is how this dish was originally invented but it is definitely a great lunch for you to bring to work. You just mix the sauce right before eating.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Pork Lettuce Wraps - Dong Bei Fan Bao [东北饭包]
Ingredients for the salad sauce:
Ingredients for the salad:
- the sauce we just made or to taste
- 350 grams of cooked rice
- 2 eggs fried
- 1 potato boiled and crushed
- crunchy peanuts or any nuts you like to put on the top
- 1 cup of chopped cabbage
- of diced cilantro
- 1 cup of diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp of diced chili optional
- 1 tbsp of chili oil optional
- - First, let’s make the sauce. Heat up the wok to smoking hot then pour in 3 tbsp of vegetable oil. Give it a toss so the oil covers the bottom. Put in 1/2 cup of diced onion and 1 tbsp of garlic. Stir until fragrant. Then add in 200 grams of ground pork. Just simply stir that until the pork is cooked through. Then add in the seasoning: 3 tbsp of soybean paste, 3 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- - Mix them until well combined. Keep cooking it for about 2 minutes and you can take it out. You can double or triple this recipe. Save the sauce in a jar and freeze it so next time you don’t need to do so much work.
- - Now we can put all the salad ingredients together. You will need 350 grams of cooked rice (make sure your rice is at room temperature and soft. If you just took out the leftover rice from the fridge, it is probably very hard and cold. You might want to heat it up and let it cool down a little bit before mixing everything together.), 1 potato (simply boil and roughly crushed), 1 cup of chopped cabbage, 1 cup of cucumber cubes, some fried egg, some finely diced red jalapeno. Last but not least - a handful of cilantro. Then, adding the sauce we just made. It is very salty so you do want to add it in batches to adjust the saltiness. Mix them nicely. Taste and adjust it. You are ready to serve. You can just put it in a salad bowl or serve it in some lettuce wrap. Some crunchy nut will be so good on the top.