Salt and pepper fried ribs are one of those recipes that I will cook when I miss Chinese food. It is easy to make and so tender and crispy. I hope you give it a try.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Pork Spare Ribs Recipe
FOR THE MARINADE:
- 1 lb of pork ribs
- 1 tbsp of finely minced ginger
- 2 tbsp of finely minced garlic
- 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce
- - A pinch of salt
FOR THE COATING:
- enough oil to fry the ribs
- 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn
- some spring onion
- some hot chilies
- First, marinade the ribs. (1 tbsp of finely minced ginger, 2 tbsp of grated garlic, 2 tsp of soy sauce, 1/3 tsp of salt, 1/3 tsp of black pepper
- Spare ribs or back ribs both work fine for this recipe but I prefer back ribs because they are meatier.
- Wrap the ribs with tin foil. Slow cook this in the oven(300 degrees, 2 hours). I actually did a little twist here. Normally, we don’t bake the ribs we just directly fry it but I found out that if you bake it for a long time you will get a fall of bones tender ribs.
- Now that we are waiting, let’s prepare the coating. In a large bowl, add in 3 tbsp of cornstarch, 2/3 tsp of chili flake, 1/3 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of black pepper, 1/3 tsp of salt, 2 tbsp of finely minced garlic, 1 tbsp of finely minced ginger, and 2 tbsp of water, mix everything together.
- 2 hours later, take the ribs out of the oven. It is already looking really good. Now we just need to coat the ribs and fry it to get a crispy layer.
- Heat up some oil in the pot. I will throw in some Sichuan peppercorn because as the oil heating up, the numbing element will dissolve into the oil so your ribs will be more flavorful. This is totally optional. The ribs will still taste good even you don’t use it.
- Bring this to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. It is so important to get the oil to the high temperature because the ribs are cooked, if you fry it on low heat, it will lose the juiciness real fast.
- You want to fry the ribs as soon as possible after you took it out of the oven because when meat gets cold, it will also lose the juiciness.
- This frying process is for the crispy surface. So you just got the color since the ribs are already cooked. The oil is very hot - it will just take 1 or 2 minutes to get it golden brown.
- Last step – I will put some spring onion, and chopped hot chilies just give it a little more flavor and for the presentation. Of course, you can sprinkle some sesame seed if you have.