Today we are making a classic Sichuan recipe- mouthwatering chicken. It is spicy and numbing. It smells amazing, the flavor is savory and tangy. We use quite a lot of Sichuan peppercorns in this dish. It really numbs your tongue and lips, makes your mouth watery. That is how we name it. If you love spicy food, this is one of those recipes that would catch your taste instantly
Mouthwatering Chicken Recipe (Kou Shui JI)
INGREDIENTS FOR HOT CHILI OIL
INGREDIENTS FOR KOU SHUI JI (口水鸡)
- 1 lb of chicken leg bone-in and skin on
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 5-6 slices of ginger
- 2 pieces of scallion
- 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of salt
- 1-2 liters of water to cook the chicken
- 2 slices of ginger
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 0.5 tbsp of pure sesame paste
- 1/4 cup of the water or chicken broth
- 3-4 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of Sichuan peppercorns powder
- 2-5 tbsp of hot chili oil
- Cucumber shreds
- Cilantro as garnish
Make the hot chili oil (红油).
- In a big mixing bowl, add 1.5 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn powder, 3 kinds of chili powder, 2.5 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds.
- In a saucepot, add in 2 cloves of garlic, sliced; 1.5 inches of ginger, sliced as well; 2 pieces of scallion, cut into short pieces; a few pieces of bay leaves, a couple of star anise, 1 piece of cinnamon stick, and 1.5 cups of vegetable oil. Heat it on low for 8-10 minutes. Once you see the aromatics are slightly charred, take them out. Check the oil temperature. You want it to go to 400 F.
- Pour the hot oil over the chili powder in batches. Stir at the same time. Let it cool. Store in a sealed container. It will last 4 months at room temperature or 8 month in the fridge.
Make the Kou Shui Ji (口水鸡)
- In a pot, add 1 lb of bone-in and skin on chicken leg, 2 cloves of garlic, sliced; 5-6 slices of ginger, 2 pieces of scallion, 1 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorns, 1 tbsp of salt and 1-2 liters of water, or enough to cover the chicken. Put on the lid. Turn the heat to high. Bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil. Turn the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Depends on the size of your chicken, you might need to adjust the cooking time. 5 minutes later. Turn off the heat. Remove the pot from the stove. Let it sit for 5 more minutes. Take the chicken out. Put it in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- While waiting, we can make the sauce. In a blender cup, add 2 slices of ginger, 3-4 cloves of garlic, 0.5 tbsp of pure sesame paste, and 1/4 cup of the water that we cooked the chicken in. Blend everything together.
- Pour into a sauce bowl along with 3-4 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of Chinese black vinegar, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of Sichuan peppercorns powder. Mix the sauce. Give it a taste to adjust the flavor. It should be saltier than your normal taste. Add the chili oil depends on your preference. I will add 1/4 cup. Give it a final mix and set it aside.
- The chicken is cooled completely. Take it out of the bath. Get a sharp cleaver, cut the chicken into 1/2 of an inch thick pieces.
- Placed some cucumber on the plate. Put the chicken on top of it. Pour the sauce all over the chicken. Top a little bit of cilantro as garnish. Enjoy!