Mapo Tofu is one of the most famous tofu dishes in China. It originates from Sichuan, China. Learn how to cook this amazing tofu dish and impress your friends and family =)
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Mapo Tofu Recipe
- 400 grams of tofu
- 300 ml water
- 3 ounces of ground pork
- 2 tbsp of fermented soybean
- 2 tbsp of dou ban jiang
- 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of minced ginger
- 2 tsp of white sugar
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of ground white pepper
- spring onion and coriander for garnish
- 2 tsp of corn starch + 3 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of Szechuan peppercorn 1/2 tbsp to make peppercorn oil, 1/2 tbsp to make peppercorn powder
- Toast 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn on low heat for 2 minutes and then finely ground it.
- Fry 1/2 tbsp of Sichuan peppercorn with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil on low heat for 4 minutes or until fragrant. Strain it and you got your peppercorn oil.
- Cut your tofu into the size you like. Use soft tofu, don’t use those firm tofu.
- Put some salt into water, add in the tofu and bring it to a boil. Carefully take it out and strain the water. Set it aside.
- Heat up your wok. Add the peppercorn oil we made and the ground pork. Cook it for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat to low. Add in the minced garlic and ginger. Stir it until fragrant.
- Add the fermented soy bean and dou ban jiang. Fry it for 30 seconds.
- Add white pepper, chili powder, white sugar. Combine well.
- Pour the water in. give it a stir. Then add in the tofu. Turn the heat to high- bring it to a boil and then down to low heat; cover it and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- During this time, make the slurry: mix some cornstarch with water (1.5 tsp of corn starch + 3 tbsp of water).
- Add the peppercorn powder we made before.use the back of a spatula to carefully mix it. Try not to break the tofu.
- Pour in half of the slurry, mix it well. Once you see the soup start thickening, add the other half.
- Put it on a plate. Garnish with some scallion and coriander. Serve it with rice.