This is a special video/post. I am making the dehydrated ingredients and I will link to different videos that use these dried ingredients.
Today I am going to show you how to make dried scallop, dried shrimp, and dried mushroom at home. These are widely used Chinese ingredients and they can be difficult to find in some countries. If you look up online, the price can scare you away. Especially for the dried scallop, it could be 100 dollars per lb. But it is very easy to make it at home and it will be way better quality plus I will also talk about tons of recipes that you can use with these dried ingredients. So let’s get started.
Why used dried ingredients?
We all know fresh ingredients are great but why do Chinese people use dried ingredients. Scallop and shrimp are high in glutamic acid, a type of amino acid. If we season it with salt, it becomes monosodium glutamate, a sodium salt of the glutamic acid, also known as MSG. Yes, we are making our own MSG. The drying process will enhance the reactions between the salt and amino acids, which makes the flavor richer and more savory.
Dried Shrimp, Scallop and Mushrooms
Dried Shrimp (干虾米、金钩海米)
- Season 1 pound of shrimp meat with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of sugar. Let them sit in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Use a non-stick pan to cook the shrimps on low heat for 8 minutes or until all the shrimps turned into an orange color.
- Set the dehydrator temperature at 135 F. Dehydrate the shrimp for 8 - 12 hours depends on the size.
- Tip: If you are using frozen shrimps from a package, you must read the label. If you see that the salt is on the ingredient list, you will have to add less salt.
- Store the dried shrimps in a sealed container and put them in the freezer. It will stay good for a year.
Dried Scallop (干瑶柱、干贝)
- Season 1 pound of scallop with 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of sugar. Let them sit in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Use a non-stick pan to cook the scallops on low heat for 5-6 minutes or until all the scallops are changed color.
- Set the dehydrator temperature at 135 F. Dehydrate the scallops for 8 - 12 hours depends on the size.
- Tip: If you are using frozen scallops from a package, you must read the label. If you see that the salt is on the ingredient list, you will have to add less salt.
- Store the dried scallops in a sealed container and put them in the freezer. It will stay good for a year.
Dried Shiitake Mushroom (干香菇、干冬菇)
- Seafood contains amino acid so you need to add some salt to create the reaction so you can get some MSG out of it. Mushrooms already contain MSG so you don’t need to season it. You don’t need to pre-cook it either. You just directly put the mushroom on the rack and dehydrate them. No matter if you use high temp or low temp. The taste will come out the same.
- Shiitake is the most popular type for making dried mushrooms. Yes, you can use other kinds but the smell and the taste are going to be different.
- Store the dried mushroom in a sealed container. It will stay good at room temperature for a year.
Dried Shrimp (干虾米、金钩海米) Recipes:
Chiuchow Dumplings (潮州粉果) – https://youtu.be/Y8uMVfl-I7I
Steamed Glutinous Rice Siu Mai Dumplings Recipe (糯米麦)- https://youtu.be/jc7dc7bk8Ig
Easy Chinese Green Beans Stir Fry Recipe [干煸豆角] – https://youtu.be/SRZlP0WoNYM
Taro Root Cake Recipe – https://youtu.be/ah1uhra2zfc
Chinese Chicken Wonton Soup Recipe – https://youtu.be/aGKhjvfqCBk
Dried Scallop (干瑶柱、干贝) Recipes:
Turnip Cake (Radish Cake Recipe) – https://youtu.be/Eb1SKK7ofwU
Authentic XO Sauce HK Seafood Sauce [自制XO瑶柱酱] – https://youtu.be/QCpf4jOqkNI
Zongzi (Sticky Rice Dumpling) – https://youtu.be/VrbDvc2Aw40
Dried Shiitake Mushroom (干香菇、干冬菇) Recipes:
Authentic Hot And Sour Soup Recipe [酸辣汤] – https://youtu.be/D78r9jvLliA
Hakka Style Stuffed Tofu Recipe [客家酿豆腐] – https://youtu.be/awEus4N9Zn8
Vegan Oyster Sauce Recipe – https://youtu.be/Fdx8vmvtgCY
Sticky Rice Dumpling Lo Mai Gai Recipe [糯米鸡] – https://youtu.be/xZ3QQxpgIs8