Meatballs are very popular around the world and China is no different. We put it in hot pot, eat it with noodles, BBQ it, etc…- especially people from Chaoshan, China! In Chaoshan, you can find meat balls on every street corner. Chaoshan meatballs are even shipped all over China to little noodle shops. I shared some secrets to ensure your beef balls turns out amazing. You can make lots at one time and freeze some- it will last around a month. If you follow my technique and freeze the beef balls correctly, even after 1 month it will still taste like fresh meat balls- so juicy, soft and bouncy. They are also perfect for a weeknight meal where you don’t have so much time =)
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
The Secret to Juicy Meatballs (even after frozen)
- Put the ground beef in the freezer for 30 minutes just to lower the temperature so the beef stays fresh.
- Combine all the seasoning together. And put that in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Take the beef and the sauce out. They are cold but not frozen. Add them into the food processor.
- Blend that for about 6 minutes. If you see the mixture is a little dry, add a splash of water to get the soft and moist texture.
- Transfer that into a big bowl. I like to add 1/2 cup of minced mushroom. If you don’t like mushrooms, you don’t have to put it in.
- Combine the mushroom and meat well. Then start rolling it into balls.
- Once you finish them all. Get a pot of water, bring it to a simmer, not boiling. The temperature should be about 170-190 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On the side here have some ice water ready.
- Add in the beef balls one by one. Keep simmering the water for about 3 minutes. All the beef balls will change color and float to the top.
- Turn the heat to medium and bring this to a boil. The whole process is to make sure your beef balls cook evenly- with this technique, the texture will turn out better.
- Take them out quickly. Put them into the ice water to stop the cooking process immediately. After doing this, the beef balls will turn out a little BOUNCY
- Once your beef balls are completely cooled down, you can do what ever you want to it. But please understand that you can not eat it like this because it is not fully cooked.
- The reason you don't fully cook it through the first time is to make the juicy texture stay longer. If you overcook it all the juicyness will go away. It will taste bad (and frozen if you freeze and save them).
If you want to use immediately, boil them for five minutes.
- You can make lots at one time- just put them in the bag, and freeze it. It will last a month. This is actually how the meat balls are sold in china- frozen.
After you defrost it you can cook it like this:
- BOIL - Put it in cold water and bring it to a boil. After it's been boiling for 5 minutes you can take it out.
- STEAM - 10-15 minutes
- Those are the traditional ways. I guess you can try other ways if you want =)
- I usually eat it with noodles. A little bit of sea weed, 1 cup of beef stock, 1/2 tsp of chicken powder, some salt to taste. Boil the noodles and the beef balls. Add it into the soup, serve it with some lettuce, carrot fried garlic and hot chili oil. Awesome! This is a traditional way to eat it.
- In the future, I'll share a hot pot recipe and will be using these lovely beef balls. So... make a bunch and save some!