The weather in GZ is getting colder and colder lately. Now it is the best time for hot pot. If you want to make a good hot pot, you need a good hot pot soup base. In this video, I will show you how to make a spicy numbing hot pot soup base.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Spicy Hot Pot Soup Base
INGREDIENTS FOR GROUND SPICES:
INGREDIENTS FOR CHILI BLENDS:
- 1.5 cup of red chilies
- 3/4 cup of garlic
- 1/2 cup of ginger
- 1/3 cup of face heaven chilies
- Grind all the dry spices into powder (4 pieces of bay leaves, 3 pieces of star anise, 6 pieces of cardamom, 1 big stock of cinnamon, 2 tbsp of Gancao, 1/3 cup of Sichuan peppercorn)
- Put the spice powder in a bowl, then add in 1 tbsp of fennel seed, 1 tbsp of cumin seed, 1/3 cup of chili flake. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Besides the dried ingredients. You also need to grind some wet ingredients (1.5 cups of red chili Mei ren jiao, 3/4 cup of garlic, 1/2 cup of ginger, 1/3 cups of face heaven chili)
- Put the chili mixture and the ground spices in the wok. Add 1 cup of Dou ban Jiang, 1/3 cup of fermented soybean paste. Stir this on low heat until well combined. Add 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of salt, keep mixing everything.
- At the same time, get another pot. Heat up 5 cups of canola oil and 1 cup of lard. Traditionally this is done with pure beef tallow. But I don’t like that much animal fat so I just did a little change. You can use pure canola oil, it is fine. Bring the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then pour the hot oil into the wok. You should see it is bubbling a lot. That will wake up most of the flavor. And be careful, it is safer to do it in batches.
- Let it cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait until it cools down to room temperature.
- This is my recommendation for making the spicy hot pot: 2 cups of base + 8 to 10 cups of chicken broth. This recipe is enough for you to make 3 hot pot.
- You can save the base in the freezer for 1.5 months.