In China, there are restaurants in nearly every neighborhood serving handmade noodles. You can see how they made the noodles in front of you which is the reason why they are so popular – their noodles taste amazingly fresh. There are many ways to make your own noodles- today I will show you my version. It has simple ingredients but requires a bit of patience. I know noodles are very easy to buy, but it is quite fun to make your own and enjoy the hard work. Hope my video will encourage you to try it out!
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
How to Make Chinese Noodles
INGREDIENTS FOR HAND MADE NOODLES [serves 3]:
- 11 ounces of strong bread flour
- 2 eggs + water = 5.5 ounces [156 grams]
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt into the strong flour. Give it a mix. Look for bread flour in your local store. Do not use all purpose or cake flour- the texture of your noodles should be bouncy!
- Add the egg water mixture(2 eggs + water = 5.5 ounceinto the flour too. If you are vegetarian, you can skip the egg and add about 4.5 ounces of water.
- Use chopsticks to stir it and knead your flour into a dough, this will take about 8 minutes.
- Cover it and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes later, use the folding technique to knead it again for 5-8 minutes until you have a smooth dough. This helps push the air out.
- Roll the dough into 1-2 mm thick sheets. Make sure it is even or it won't cook properly.
- Apply some flour on both sides of the sheet. This prevents the noodles from sticking together.
- Fold the sheet and cut it into 1-2 mm thick. The thicker you cut it, the harder and bouncier your noodle is going to be. You can play with it a little bit to see what you prefer. Do not push down with the hand you're holding it with or the noodles will stick together.
- Once you cut all the sheet into noodles you can do what ever you want to it. This is how I like to eat it.
- Put the noodles in boiling water for 2-4 minutes. After 2 minutes, you can try one and see if you want it softer.
- Once you think it is good, take it out and get rid of the excess water. Add it in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tsp of Chinese black vinegar, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of minced ginger, 1 tsp of minced garlic, some spring onion, some cilantro and 1-2 tsp of chili flake depending on your taste.
- Heat up 2.5 tbsp of oil. I'm using vegetable oil. Pour the hot oil on top of the noodles. Try to put it on those aromatic to release the flavor. Mix everything together and you are done!