Last year, when I bought them from my local Asian market, the price was 3.59 per lb, and now it is 4.99 USD. It doesn’t look that much but it is almost a 40% increase. I am shocked by the inflation, so I decided to show you how to make it at home. We gonna calculate how much cheaper and discuss if it is worth the labor.
Homemade Lo Mein Noodles From Scratch
- Combine the salt and all-purpose flour thoroughly. Bread flour is the best to make noodles because it has a higher protein content. Lo Mein noodles are full egg noodles. Egg contains lots of protein, which improves the texture of the dough, so it is ok to use all-purpose flour in this recipe.
- The next step is to roll the dough into sheets. I am using KitchenAid. Cut the dough into a few manageable pieces and flatten each piece so they can go through the machine easier. Put on the pasta roller attachment. Let the dough go through the machine; start with the thickest setting. It will come out rough with a jagged edge. Just fold the sheet in half and feed it through the machine a few times until the surface is smooth. Then gradually lower the thickness and continue to feed the sheet through the machine until it reaches your desired thickness. For lo mein noodles, I normally use level 3 on this Kitchenaid as the final thickness.
- Apply a generous amount of cornstarch on the sheet. Using wheat flour only prevents the noodles from sticking for a short time because gluten tends to connect to each other. Cornstarch doesn’t contain any gluten, so it will separate the noodles for a long time.
- Switch the attachment to the noodle cutter and feed the sheet through. Coat the noodles with more cornstarch so the cut surfaces don't stick to each other. Due to the egg content, these noodles can only stay good in the fridge for 2 days, but you can freeze them for up to 6 months.
Here are the recipes that you can make with this homemade lo mein noodles
- Cantonese Oyster Sauce Lo Mein Noodles - https://youtu.be/zFIUcRQIThE
- Easy Chicken Lo Mein Recipe - https://youtu.be/KjB_LAHPMSU
- Beef Lo Mein Recipe - https://youtu.be/Ch6y83CATLs
- Cantonese Chow Mein Recipe - https://youtu.be/Ch6y83CATLs
- Crispy Seafood Chow Mein Noodles - https://youtu.be/3F_ynlB6sfw
- 20 Minutes Chicken Noodle Soup - https://youtu.be/3K2-ZkWx09E
- Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup Recipe - https://youtu.be/I7gAOx0NWZk
- Tomato Beef Noodle Soup - https://youtu.be/XuELAYDcNMA
- 15 Minutes Minced Pork Noodle Soup - https://youtu.be/aYhAZUc8zTk
- Easy One-pot Rib Noodle Recipe - https://youtu.be/lA_j8Niifm0