Fish flavored shredded pork – a famous Chinese pork recipe, from Sichuan China. The funny thing about this dish is that it has no fish ingredients at all in it! This sauce is why we call it “fish flavored” pork- it’s typical for Sichuan people to put this sauce on fish. The traditional way to make the sauce is with pickled chili and ginger. If you live in China, you can find these in any grocery. For those who live outside of China and are not able to buy these, I have a quick replacement for you! Watch my video and learn how to make the authentic fish flavored shredded pork.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Szechuan Fish Flavored Pork
FOR THE PORK MARINADE:
FOR STIR FRYING:
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 4 ounces of carrot
- 3 ounces of green chili
- 3 ounces of red chili
- 3 ounces black fungus
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
FISH FLAVORED SAUCE:
- Cut the pork tenderloin into strips. Marinate it with 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tsp of corn starch and 1 tsp of vegetable oil. Set it aside for 30 minutes and make the sauce.
- To make the sauce you need the pickled ginger and chili. If you don’t have it you can make use this as a quick replacement. 3 ounces of chili, 2 ounces of young ginger. Put them into a blender with 1 tbsp of vinegar, 2 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt. Blend them until the texture is smooth. Put it in a small jar and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours you can use it to make the fish flavored sauce. 2 tbsp of the pickled ginger/chili blend, 1.5 tsp of corn starch to thicken the sauce, 1 tbsp of black vinegar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Set it aside and prepare our vegetables.
- Carrot, green chilies, red chilies and black fungus. Slice them into thin strips.
- Now we are ready to cook. Heat up your wok to the highest setting, add in about 1 tbsp of oil and put in your pork. Stir fry for a few minutes. You can see the pork change color and you should be able to start smelling it. Take it out and set it aside.
- Add another tbsp of oil into the wok and put in 1 tbsp of minced garlic. Give it a minute to become fragrant. Add in all your vegetables. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the pork back into the pot. Mix it together.
- Turn the heat to low and push everything to the side. Pour in the sauce.
- Once you see the sauce getting thicker, stir every thing together.
- Give it a little taste, see if you need some salt. You are done.