In this video, I will show you have to make a perfect egg roll wrapper. I have seen some extremely doughy egg roll. I couldn’t eat that. The recipe is simple but it takes a bit of patience to do it. If you do have access to it, you can buy it from the supermarket.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Homemade Egg Roll Wrapper Recipe
Instructions for Egg Roll Sheets:
- First, dissolve 1/2 tsp of salt into 7 ounces of hot water. You want the water to be as hot as possible.
- Pour the water into 12 ounces of all-purpose flour in batches. At the same time, use chopsticks to stir it. By adding hot water you will denature the proteins. So when you fry the egg rolls, the skin will be delicately crispy (The opposite of doughy and chewy).
- Let it sit until the temperature cools down to a point that your hands can handle. Knead it into a dough. It is very soft so it should be easy to work with.
- Cover it with plastic film and let it sit for 30 minutes. 30 minutes later, knead it again for about 6 minutes until smooth.
- Cut it in half so the dough is not too big to work with. Then roll the half into a long even strip. Cut it into small even dough. Each of them weight about 0.7 ounces. Use a scale if needed.
- Sprinkle some flour so the small pieces of dough don’t stick to each other. Flatten them with your hand one by one. Cover the rest with a plastic film while you are working with 1 small piece of dough.
- Roll it like the way how you roll a dumpling wrapper. Once you get 2 pieces skin rolled *(try to make these 2 pieces into almost the same size)*, brush 1 piece with some oil. Any type of oil should work just fine here. Apply it evenly. Cover it with the other piece. Make sure they match each other.
- Roll them into thin wrappers. Do you best to get it as thin as possible because the thinner it is, the crispier you egg roll will be. If it is too thick, then your egg roll will be doughy. Feel free to sprinkle some flour to prevent sticky. Once you get the wrapper to about 9 inches across, cook it immediately. Do not make a lot and pail them together or else the wrappers will stick to each other.
- Turn the heat to medium. And place the wrappers in. It will just take about 20 seconds to see some big bubbles appear. Give it a flip. Let the other side cook for 10 seconds. Take it out and separate them slowly. Now you got 2 pieces of egg roll wrapper. Cover it with a slightly damp towel and continue doing the rest.
- Once you get enough egg roll wrappers. Trim off the edge and make them into the square shape so they can be the same size and the egg roll will turn out the same size too.
- These sheets are about 6.5 inches size. It is ok If you want to make them the bigger size. I like it to be smaller size is because I think 1 or 2 bite size egg rolls are perfect.
- Cover the sheets with a slightly damp towel so they don’t get dry and you can start making egg rolls!
How to save the egg roll sheets:
- You can double or triple the recipe and make a lot at a time. Put them in a sealable bag and freeze it. Just defrost them whenever you want to use them again.