Egg foo young is easy to make and it is very healthy. You can add different protein and vegetables in it. Really nice flavor for such simple recipe. When I was in primary school, my mom used to make this often for my breakfast. It takes less than 10 minutes and it is so delicious. I hope you give it a try.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Egg Foo Young Recipe
FOR THE EGG MIXTURE:
- 5 eggs 5个鸡蛋
- 4 ounces [113 grams] of pre-cooked ground pork 4盎司猪肉末
- 4 ounces [113 grams] of peeled shrimp 4盎司虾仁
- 1/2 cup of carrot 1/2杯萝卜
- 1/3 cup of Chinese leeks 1/3杯韭菜
- 1/3 cup of Chinese chives 1/3杯韭黄
- 1/3 cup of cabbage 1/3杯包菜
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped hot chili
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- Salt to taste [I use about 1/4 tsp]
- Cut cabbage, carrot into thin shreds. Cut Chinese leeks and Chinse chives into short strips. Chop some fresh hot chilies
- Roughly cut the shrimp into small pieces. Pre cooked the ground pork. Beat 5 eggs.
- Mix every thing in a big bowl, and add all the seasoning, which are 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tsp of oyster sauce, 1/2 tsp of black pepper, salt to taste. I use about 1/4 salt.
- Turn the heat to high and heat up your wok for about 10 seconds. Add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil. Then turn the heat to low because the egg is very easy to burn.
- Take about 1/2 cup of the egg mixture. Carefully put that in. Fry this on low heat for 1-2 minutes each side or until both sides are golden brown.
- Because my wok is round bottom so I can only do one at a time. If you are using a big frying pan, you might be able to fry many at the same time.
- Next, we are making the gravy. In a small sauce pot, add about 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of corn flour, 1/2 tsp of white pepper and 1 cup of water. You can use chicken broth if you have it.
- Give that a mix and we will put this on the stove. Cook it on medium heat.
- If you see it start bubbling, turn the heat to low. Keep stirring it.
- Once you see the sauce becoming thick. Turn off the heat and pour the sauce on the egg foo young.