The weather is getting cold lately and I am craving some nice comfort food. Today we are making 面疙瘩汤, it is like a homemade Chinese style shaped pasta soup. It is so easy to make. Ingredients are simple. No fancy tool required. Only scissors.
Easy Chinese Pasta
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MIAN GE DA (Serves 4-6)
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE THE SOUP (SERVES 2-3)
- 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- 3 medium-size tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 of red onion finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic finely diced
- 2-3 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 of the Main Ge Da that we made
- A hand full of cilantro
- Olive oil to pan fry the seafood
- 3 tbsp of diced scallion
- 8 pieces of big shrimp
- 8 pieces of scallop
- 8 ounces of salmon
- White pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Add 1 tsp of salt to 180-200grams of water. Stir to dissolve. Pour the salt solution into 400 grams of flour in batches. Gather the flour together and make it into a dough. Cover it and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- 20 minutes later. The dough should be much softer and pliable. Knead it for about 6 minutes. And you will get a smooth elastic dough. Cover it and let it for another 20 minutes.
- After the second rest, roll the dough into a long log. Get a rolling pin. Flatten the long log into a thick piece. Cut it in half.
- In a big bowl, sprinkle a layer of flour to prevent stickiness. Use scissors to cut the dough into small pieces. Make sure you stir those pieces once in a while so they don’t stick together.
- There are many ways to make Mian Ge Da. Some people like to use a knife, some people just use their fingers to tear a small piece of dough off. I found scissors are convenient.
- The amount that gave is enough to serve 4-6 people. I am only serving 2 people today so I will freeze half of the Mian Ge Da. Whenever you need to cook them again. Don’t need to defrost. Just directly boil them.
- Diced 3 medium size tomatoes, and 1/4 of a medium-sized onion. Finely mince 4 cloves of garlic. Crack 2 eggs. Stir them well until you can not pick up any obvious egg white. Otherwise, the soup won’t be as silky.
- I am going fancy today. So I prepared lots of seafood - Some peeled and deveined shrimp, some salmon, and sea scallop. If you are allergic to seafood, you can change to other meat like chicken, beef, pork or just simply skip it.
- Ok, let’s start cooking. Heat your wok. Add about 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Toss in the onion and garlic immediately. When the onion becomes soft and translucent. introduce the diced tomato in. Keep stirring it then add 2 tsp of salt and 2 tsp of sugar. Salt and sugar will help to bring out all the flavors from the tomatoes. In a few minutes, the tomatoes should start dissolving.
- Pour in 3 cups of chicken stock. Cover the wok and bring it to a boil.
- Add in the noodles. Make sure you shake off the excess flour before you add it to the wok. or else the soup will be too thick. Stir continually, so they don’t stick to the bottom. Wait for it to come back to a boil. Pour 1 more cup of chicken stock. It will drop down the temperature immediately. Keep stirring until it to come back to boil again.
- Pour in the egg. Stir immediately. This is kind of like a different version of egg drop soup. If you already love egg drop, you will love this recipe.
- Give it a taste and adjust the saltiness. Turn off the heat. Traditionally, the recipes end here, you serve and it tastes delicious.
- As I mentioned before, I am going luxury today. So on the side here I have a frying pan with some olive oil. Nice and hot. Sear the seafood until they are brown. Simply sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Add the seafood to the soup. Mix and you are done. Sprinkle some cilantro and scallion as a garnish. Enjoy!