Cured Chicken Soup (风干鸡山药薏苡仁汤)
- 680 grams of cured chicken Can be replaced by fresh chicken + a thick cut of Italian Prosciutto
- 1.5 tbsp of oil
- 2 liters of water
- 2-3 inches of ginger sliced thinly
- 2 scallions
- 200 g of coix seeds can be replaced by wild rice
- 400 grams of Chinese yam can be replaced by yucca or potato
- 1/2 tsp of salt or to taste
- Diced scallion as garnish
- Soaked the coix seeds 3 hours in advance. Then drain completely.
- Cut the cured chicken into smaller chunks. If you don't have cured chicken, you can use fresh chicken + a thick cut of Italian Prosciutto. You can also watch this video to learn how to make your own - https://youtu.be/kg77o7s2_jc
- Preheat a heavy-duty clay pot until nice and hot. Drizzle in a little bit of oil and swirl it around so it covers the bottom. Add the cured chicken. Adjust it so most of the pieces touch the bottom of the pot. Let it sear nicely.
- Add the ginger slices and scallion. Stir until fragrant.
- Pour in 2 liters of water and bring it to a boil. Add the coix seeds then simmer on low heat for 50 minutes.
- Peel the Chinese yam (Shan Yao 山药) and cut it into chunks. Add to the clay pot and continue to simmer for 30 more minutes or until the Chinese yam is soft.
- Taste to adjust the flavor. Sprinkle some scallion as garnish.