The shreds that twine around the shrimp is made with egg roll wrappers. After deep-frying, it is extremely crispy and flaky. I named this dish “腰缠万贯”, translated as tying myriads of strings of copper cash around the waist. That’s how ancient Chinese people keep their money. Although we don’t use copper cash anymore, this word remains the rich and wealthy meaning, and that is my wish for you as well.
To marinate the shrimp
- 8-10 pieces of egg roll wrapper 8 inches * 8 inches
- 40 grams of dried rice noodles
- Enough oil to deep fry
- In order to get a better presentation, straighten the shrimp by making a few slits on the underside of the shrimp then hold the shrimp straight and press it down to flatten it. Continue to do that to all the shrimps. If you don’t eat shrimp, you can do this recipe with squid too.
- Season the shrimp with salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Add a whole egg along with 2 tbsp of cornstarch and 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour. Mix until no lump. Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Defrost 8-10 pieces of egg roll wrappers then carefully peel off each sheet. Each shrimp only needs half of a wrapper.
- Stack the wrappers together and cut them in half. Fold each half in half again crosswise. From the Involute line, cut the wrappers thinly but not all the way to the end to create lots of shreds.
- Carefully take a piece of the shredded wrapper and twine it around a piece of shrimp. Tuck the end underneath. Continue to finish the rest.
- Fry the shrimps in 370 F oil for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optionally, cut 40 grams of rice noodles into 3 inches long pieces and fry in 400 F oil for a few seconds or until fully puffed up.
- To make the dipping sauce, dissolve the sugar into 2.5 tbsp of hot water. Then add fish sauce, lime juice, some finely minced Thai bird eye chilies, and some grated garlic. Mix well. Taste to adjust the flavor.
- For the presentation, place the crispy rice noodles on the plate to make a bed. Then put the shrimp on the top. Serve with the dipping sauce. If you just serve your shrimp on a bare plate, it will trap some moisture and the crust will soften very fast. The fried rice noodles make the shrimp stay crispy for a very long time.