Hong shao qie zi, it is a very popular Chinese eggplant dish all over China. If you like eggplant, then this is a great recipe you must try. If you hate eggplant, I think you should still try- it’s really delicious and you might like it =)
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Chinese Style Eggplant Recipe
FOR STIR FRY:
- 1 large long eggplant
- Some red pepper
- Some green pepper
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp of minced ginger
- Some spring onion and coriander for garnish
- Enough oil to fry the eggplant
- Cut the eggplant into strips. Season it with some salt for 20 minutes. I used about 1/2 tsp.
- Cut the red/green chili into small chunks.
- And have some diced scallion and cilantro for garnish.
- Make the sauce, 1 tbsp of minced garlic, 2 tsp of light soy sauce, 1 tsp of dark soy sauce, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of black vinegar, 1/2 tsp of corn starch so the sauce can be a little thick and 3 tbsp of water. Mix it well.
- Add enough vegetable oil into the wok. Use medium heat to fry the eggplant until soft. You can test the temperature with 1 piece of eggplant. If you see a lot of bubbles. That is perfect.
- Take it out and set it aside.
- Leave 1 tbsp of oil in the wok. Stir fry stir fry the ginger, garlic and the chilies for 3 minutes or until fragrant
- Pour in the sauce we made before. Stir fry for 1 minutes and you will see the sauce is getting a little thick.
- Add in the eggplant. Give them a nice mix.
- Don’t cook it too long, because we already fried the eggplant. Once you see the sauce is almost gone, turn off the heat. Garnish it with some spring onion and coriander. You are done.