Dai pai dong (from Cantonese 大 排 檔) is a type of open-air food stall in Hong Kong and Guangzhou. Usually gets very busy at night. And this chow mien is one of those dishes that every body orders every time. In China, we have some standers for a good chow mein. The most important one is your chow mein needs to be dry, no excess oil/water liquid. Watch my video to understand how to reach that standard.
Note: Product links below are affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you purchase an item on a linked website within 24 hours.
Chicken Chow Mein Recipe (Dai Pai Dong)
FOR STIR FRYING:
- 3 cups flat rice noodles
- 1/2 cup of Chinese leek
- 1/2 cup of Chinese chives
- 1/2 cup of carrot
- 1/2 cup of bean sprout
FOR THE CHICKEN MARINADE:
- Cut the chicken into bite size. Mix it with 1 tsp of cornstarch, 1 Tsp of soy sauce, 1 Tsp of vegetable oil and a pinch of baking soda. Set it aside for 30 minutes
- Prepare your vegetables. I use 1/2 cup of Chinese leek[韭菜], 1/2 cup of Chinese chives[韭黄], 1/2 cup of carrot, 1/2 cup of bean sprout. You can use whatever you like.
- Have some rice noodles ready. If your noodle comes in a package and it is dry. You can soak them in water until soft or cook them until half way done. Don’t cook it all the way through. Dry it up.
- Make the sauce ahead of the time. 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 2 tsp dark sauce soy, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- Start cooking. Heat up the work for about 15 seconds. You can do this with a large salted pan as well. Add about 1.5 tbsp of vegetable oil. Cook the chicken first for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Push the chicken to the side so you have room for the vegetables.
- Add 1 tbsp of garlic and all the vegetables except the bean sprouts. Cook it for 1 or 2 minutes then add in the bean sprout, mix everything together. Set it aside.
- Now we gonna do our noodles. Add about 1 and a half tbsp of vegetable oil. Then add in your noodles. Try to spread it. Toss the wok or keep turning the noodles so it cooks evenly.
- 4 minutes later. Add the sauce, mix it quickly until the noodles became brown and shining. We can go ahead and add everything together. Mix them until well combined.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste. You are done. That looks so good so tempting.