Today we are making a very healthy Chinese soup, Lian ou pai gu tang. Which means lotus root and pork ribs soup. Cantonese cuisine contains lots of soup recipes. They all have the same idea – which is healthy. This recipe just one of them. In my family, we usually have a little soup before dinner to kind of get your stomach ready. And have some soup after you finished so everyone else knows that you are done. They won’t keep adding more food to your plate. To me, I think this is a smart way to eat dinner. You will never stuff your stomach 100 % full because part of it just the healthy soup.
Cantonese Soup With Lotus Root & Pork Ribs [莲藕排骨汤]
- - Cut the short ribs into individual pieces.
- - Cut the golden sweet corn into 1.5 inches size.
- - Discard the end of the lotus root. Peel the skin and cut it into 2/3 of an inch thick pieces.
- - Blanch the ribs to remove the bloody crumbs: In a clean pot, add in the ribs, 2.5 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, and 1.5 liters of water. Cover it. Bring this to a boil. Take out the ribs and discard the water.
- - In another clean pot, add in the blanched ribs, the sweet corn, lotus root, 4 slices of ginger, 6 pieces of red date, 1 tbsp of goji berries, 1/2 tsp of white peppercorn, 1 piece of spring onion. 6 cups of water. The liquid should be enough to cover all the ingredients.
- - Put on the lid. Bring this to a boil. Now you can add some salt. Mix it up and taste it to make sure it fits your taste. Turn the heat to low. Let this simmer for 1.5 hours and you are done.
- - Before you serve, take out the ginger and the soggy spring onion.